Grails is Groovy based framework for web development using Model-View-Controller design pattern. The idea is to get started with Grails Framework on windows platform. This is a very simple “Hello World” application which I created on Windows 7.
Following steps should be taken to get started to write your very first application.
1. Install JDK from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
3. Download Grails from http://grails.org/Download
4. Unzip the file at C:\opt\grails location
5. Create a new Environment Variables as GRAILS_HOME, JAVA_HOME as:
9. Navigate to wherever you want to create your project from command prompt. Example, I created my project inside “D:\Projects” folder
10. Next step is to run the application through command prompt. Navigate inside helloworld folder and write
11. Browse http://localhost:8080/helloworld/ at browser
12. Open the file D:\Projects\helloworld\grails-app\views\index.gsp in any text editor and change it to see the changes on the browser
I hope this gives you fairly good idea to get started with Grails Framework for the beginners.